applekale

Abigail Norton-Levering's knitting journal.

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Practicing safe socks



Took this picture of Terrill a few weeks later, when we were all in Michigan together at Bill's ancestral cabin on Lake Michigan. For those of you who have never met Terrill, she is Bill's son Ryan's fiancee. Got that? Ryan (Bill's son) and Terrill are going to get married to each other next year.

I made the pink and orange socks Terrill is wearing of Lana Grossa Cool Wool Merino 2000. Really a nice yarn for socks, though its not technically a "sock yarn", so very very soft. It would be lovely for baby sweaters, its so warm and soft and luxurious. The needles I used were size 3, which feel monstrously big in my hands now that the socks I am presently working on are size 1. Terrill's socks came out beautifully, though a bit small for a big-footed person like myself. (I didn't do a gauge swatch. See how important it is to do a gauge swatch?) So I gave the socks to small-footed Terrill. And I think she liked them, and it makes me happy to know that they are going to a good home.

I taught Terrill how to knit in Michigan, and she picked it up quickly. She's one of those types who understands immediately how knitting works, a scientific knitter-type. My sister-in-law, Kari, is another one who picked up the concepts of knitting right away. In both their cases, they were immediately knitting beautiful, smooth, even, mistake-free rows. They took to it effortlessly, and seemed almost disappointed by how easy it was for them. They don't understand how the rest of us struggled.

Ryan is apparently learning to knit but I have never seen him do it. He is one of those SECRETIVE knitters. He certainly wasn't going to bring his project along where his father could watch him and tease him. But someday I hope to post a picture of all of us knitting away happily together.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home