applekale

Abigail Norton-Levering's knitting journal.

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

No yarn shops here

We're back from Malta. That's Malta in the Mediterranean, not Malta in upstate NY. What, you say? You didn't know we were going to Malta? And who is this "we" I was travelling with?

More to come, more to come. I will post pictures. For now, let me tell you to look at my brother Dan's blog to find out about our travelling woes, and also, while you are there, to look at pictures of my adorable nephew.

And I'll also tell you there were no yarn shops in Malta. There are beautiful handknit sweaters to be bought, which are created by little old Maltese women (who also make incredible lace). But they import all the yarn to make these sweaters from off the island. Once, the island had goats and sheep, but not anymore. Perhaps I'll move to Malta when I retire, and raise sheep, and spin my own yarn, and sell it to tourists at outrageous prices. I certainly would have paid dearly for some honest-to-goodness Maltese yarn.

I didn't do much knitting myself on the trip--we were rather busy running around. But I did knit half a toe-up sock when I wasn't sleeping on the airplane flights. toe-up socks are neat! I never made one before.

2 Comments:

Blogger Trish said...

Hello from Malta! I've worked at JOHN GREGORY WOOL SHOP in Msida next to the Church for the past 25 years and we stock loads of wool and cotton imported from England and Italy, we are agents and supply other small shops on the island.Hope you'll give us a visit next time you're on the island!!!
Trish.

12:40 PM  
Blogger JP said...

I went to school with Myra (Norman) Gregory. Spent time with her and family when I lived in Malta from 1975 - 1978. Never been back but would love to.
Say hello from Jacky (Bennett) Prior, please.

1:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home