applekale

Abigail Norton-Levering's knitting journal.

Friday, October 14, 2005

Hurricane Sweater

Well, mom, I'm pleased to know that you only last weekend read your very first Vogue Knitting magazine. I only recently started reading it myself but never attempted to make any garments described therein (prior to about six months ago I used to look at the magazine and say to myself, "I will never be able to knit any of those patterns"). That all changed last month when I joined a knitalong with my friends at the local coffee shop, all of whom decided to knit this circular sweater on the cover of the most recent issue:




By the way, I was able to find a picture on the very funny knittykitty site. Go look, mom. I hope knittykitty wasn't dissing my sweater--I think she posted it rather in honor of hurricane katrina victims. In any case, thats why our knitalong group started calling it the Hurricane Sweater rather than what its called in Vogue (something like the "Twisted-Garter-Stitch Cardigan", something non-creative like that).

So here was my first attempt. You must understand that I, being on a yarn fast until next Easter was limited in my choices of yarn. But I had this big pile of random green yarns



that I was thinking of making a shawl of, so I thought I would use them for the Hurricane Sweater instead. You tell me how you think it was turning out:



Yeah, that orange accent yarn I threw in wasn't working for me either. So I decided to pull it out and try it over again with some yarn I had in my stash, this pile of rusty orange cotton/rayon stuff which has a real nice texture. Classic Elite "Believe".

That's the "Believe" on the left hand side. Of course, I didn't have enough to finish the whole sweater, and I need a contrast color, so I asked permission of my DH (on my birthday) for permission to break my yarn fast in order to buy the other yarns in the picture, some dear Mission Falls 1824 cotton (so dear, and discontinued) and also a couple of balls of Fortissima Sock yarn to run together with the "Believe". The colors are gorgeous together. I will update soon and let you know how it looks.

Looking forward to seeing you this evening, mom!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home