applekale

Abigail Norton-Levering's knitting journal.

Thursday, October 06, 2005

Mysteries of the universe

I wrote a few weeks ago about how odd the phrase "knitting progress" is, because knitting progresses about as slowly as the stars move across the sky. But this past week a few lucky stars must have come together because I finally finished several projects and started a few more. Then a few more lucky stars have made it possible for me to post pictures. These stars are all named after my DH.

First of all, he fixed my Clie, which is what I used to take blog pictures with before it crashed. Now its back. Witness the recent wave of pictures as a result.

Secondly, he decided to clean the house. (Lets not go into why I didn't clean it myself, shall we?) Which means that I have nice clean spaces in which to spread out my knitting for pictures. Want some more? Here you go:



The blanket for Karen, now blocked. I did take the plunge and wash it in the machine, as the label for the yarn suggests. (Blue Sky Cotton. The color is this kind of grayish-purple, really lovely--it looks like a brighter purple in the sunlight. Its a soothing color. My main thoughts in picking it were 1. this is one of Karen's favorite colors, and when I saw the yarn in the store I thought of her and 2. baby spitup wouldn't show too much on this color.) About the machine washing: what is the point of giving someone a handknit baby item if it can't be washed in the machine?

You can see that it is not nearly so kite-shaped now that its blocked, though traces of its kite-nature remain in the way two of the corners want to be more pointy than the other two. Oh well. I'm sure Karen won't care. So long as the blanket is warm and comfy.

Another picture:


This is my lumpy, bumpy left-handed sweater. For the two of you who read this blog, this is the sweater I learned to knit continental-style on, taught this summer by the beautiful Libby at Water Street yarns. The sweater that started out as a bag, but I switched to a sweater after I discovered that the dimensions of the bag exactly matched the dimensions of my waist.

I've reached a stop-and-think-for-a-while place with this sweater. Thought about the possibility of salmon-colored sleeves for more than a few days, even knit a piece of one of those sleeves, though I ultimately rejected that idea. Now I am thinking: short sleeves, with that light green fuzzy stuff around the edges. Anybody have any ideas, please feel free to leave them in the comments.


You can see that even though I am wearing the sweater over my bathrobe as I take the picture of my own self this morning, that it fits, though the shoulders are a bit lumpy. (am hoping these smooth out in the block, though they may not, given that its yarn-nature is thick-n-thin.)

I am going to have to take this sweater outside and take a picture of it on a nice sunny day. You really can't see the colors of the yarn. Which, by the way, is Artful yarns Cartoon. I don't believe its any longer available (I bought the skeins at something like $4 each at a big end-of-season sale at some yarn store in Middletown NJ.) It is primarily a light olive green color but it also has pinks and yellows and purples and oranges mixed it. Lovely, if fuzzy. Exceedingly warm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home