applekale

Abigail Norton-Levering's knitting journal.

Saturday, September 08, 2007

Who's this baby?


Why, it's Jack Baby, of course, wearing the sweater I belatedly presented him with.


Its a mite big at the moment. But would you believe its supposed to fit a one-year old? Give Jack a couple of months more and it will fit him just fine. As Dan and Kari reported on their blog, the pediatrician officially labeled him a "tank". He's in the 90th percentile for height and weight for babies of his age (two months).

The pattern is from Debbie Bliss, the Cable and Rib Sweater from The Baby Knits Book. I decided to knit it out of Tahki Cotton Classic instead of the recommended DB yarn. I had several balls each of these different colors of blue, so since I didn't have enough of one color to knit the whole sweater out of it, I made the sweater out of both colors. I also added red stripes around the hood and sleeve edges. I think it came out beautifully.

I enjoyed the pattern, which was fairly simple, though I made some adjustments. The biggest change I made was knitting the sleeves out of plain 2x2 ribs rather than continuing the cable-and-rib pattern in the sleeves as Ms. Bliss recommends. I found that when I used the cables, the sleeves came out too narrow for some reason, even though I got gauge and the rest of the sweater turned out fine. Maybe I should have checked for errata, I dunno. I never do that. Its all part of my growth as a knitter, I suppose.


Above: all the men of the Coy-Norton household.

ps. I uploaded summer pictures, including Alex's third birthday, to my flickr site. Click here to see them.

1 Comments:

Blogger Cotton Wool & Silk said...

Nice knitting Abby!
OK --e-mail me with some times/dates for a knitfest.

KD

kldavelaar@yahoo.com

12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home